So it is Summer in Newfoundland? Well ok! We got through the May 24th weekend, and now our boating enthusiasts want to get out on the water. Well as any boater will tell you there is more to it than just firing the old girl out on the pond/lake/ocean etc.
It’s important to go through a series of checks and balances to make sure she’s ready to go. Having a spring ritual that includes recommended inspection, tune-up and cleaning of your boat before setting out on your first trip can help prevent a host of problems that could keep you off the water later in the season — not to mention, help keep you and everyone aboard safe during your adventures.
Following are some tips to help get your boat as ready as you are to hit the water this year.
- Re-read your owner’s manual
- Re-familiarize yourself with your boat — its components, features and safety precautions.
- Inspect all of the safety equipment on board, including fire extinguishers, flares, personal flotation devices and first-aid kits
- Check all lights on your boat
- Check for excess water in the bilge.
- Check for any electrical issues, such as loose, disconnected or corroded conductors.
- Check that the battery is properly secured to the vessel.
- Ensure there is no fuel leaks
- Ensure proper ventilation
- Ensure no water is present in your fuel filters
- Use fresh gas/fuel
- Check the oil level before starting the boat for the first time.
- Review Launching Procedures
Every Boat Is Unique
Getting your boat ready for the water depends on many things: whether it is used in fresh or salt water, its size, manufacturer, model, etc. Be sure to get the information you need, then develop and follow the right spring ritual to help ensure every trip of the boating season is safe and fun for all
Now that your boat is ready there is one last step. It is time to make sure your insurance is update. Notify your insurance broker and review.Better yet contact your boat insurance experts at Crosbie Job Insurance.We have various options available including the Aviva NautiMax Program and Intact Insurance’s Myboat Product. No matter what coverage you need we can tailor coverage to suit your needs. Sleep Easy! We’ve Got You Covered.