Winter can be a beautiful playground. There is nothing like tobogganing with the family, building a snowman with the kids, or skating on the pond (among other things). But unfortunately winter also means shoveling snow.
How often do I hear from a friend or co-worker that they hurt themselves shoveling. Just because we have to shovel, does not mean we can’t improve our techniques and protect ourselves.
It is with that in mind we offer a few tips to help with shoveling and cleaning up winter around the house.
1. Stretching will help prevent injuries
2. Dress in layers to stay warm
3. Take breaks: Continuous snow shoveling can be hazardous to the health of those in not-such-great shape
4. “Wax” your shovel blade – it will prevent snow from sticking to your shovel.
1. Stand with feet at hip-width for balance.
2. Hold the shovel close to your body – it will reduce strain on your back
3. Space hands apart to increase leverage.
4. Switch off between snow shoveling right-handed & left-handed, so that you’re working different muscles
5. Bend from your knees not your back.
6. Tighten your stomach muscles while lifting.
7. Avoid twisting while lifting.
8. Walk to dump snow rather than throwing it.
Check out this video to help with your snow shoveling
Quite often we forget about clearing snow away from our dryer vents. Leaving snow there could be a fire hazard and or a carbon monoxide hazard.
As well when there is snow, there is often plenty of issue, for your own safety, family member safety, and guests/visitor safety, don’t forget to put down plenty of salt or sand to help provide traction. We would hate to hear about anyone getting hurt.
So What’s This Got To Do With Insurance?
Let’s be honest. Shoveling tips really doesn’t have much to do with insurance. But you know what? When you are a client of Crosbie Job we want to make sure that you are safe and healthy. So an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
On the insurance side, clearing your walkways, salting/sanding makes for a safer place. A safer place usually leads to less liability claims.
At Crosbie Job Insurance we are your Newfoundland and Labrador Homeowners Insurance Experts. Take a minute or two to contact one of our expert brokers to review your policy. We want you to Sleep Easy because We’ve Got You Covered!!!
Don’t waste a moment. Please feel to contact us for a quote. We are here for you.Give our Experts Shout!
Meet the team: For Brokers Across the Island
Ph: 709-726-5414 or 1-800-563-7788
Email: [email protected]